Who can apply for the campus jobs?
International students with a valid F-1 or J-1 visa who are enrolled full-time can work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. They can also work up to 40 hours per week during school breaks, such as Thanksgiving break (1 week), winter break(2-3 weeks), spring break (1 week), and summer (4 months). This rule also applies to supported students who receive financial support from their department. More details on eligibility and the process for applying for on-campus jobs for international students can be found at this page by IPS.
There are also official guidelines released and updated by MTU from time to time such as the Student Employment Guide that provides information on the kinds of forms to be filled out by the employee, the responsibilities of the employer (either the respective department or administrative office), and provides links to other allied resources.
Tips from student experiences?
Some tips from campus job employed students:
- Students looking for on campus jobs should try and keep an eye on Handshake as jobs open up constantly (especially on campus)
- On-campus jobs can be competitive, so it’s a good idea to start your job search early. Check the job postings on the university website regularly and apply to positions as soon as they become available.
- Don’t shy away from reaching out to staff members about available jobs directly
- Talk to your seniors and other students who have jobs on campus or have prior experience (many students go away for internships and their spots open up!)
- Have a resume and cover letter in hand as applying for the jobs require these documents
- Follow the university’s social media accounts: Michigan Technological University may post about job openings and other opportunities on their social media accounts, such as Twitter and Facebook.