There are various ways to get around the Houghton/Hancock area. Most destinations are within walking distance, but if you need additional transportation GSG has compiled a list of options for you.
During the Fall and Spring semesters, the MTU Transportation Services provide shuttle service around campus and throughout downtown Houghton. During the Summer, the Shuttle Services are also available. There are two different types of shuttle:
- The Husky Campus Shuttle, accessible to students, faculty and staff with a valid HuskyCard. Click here to view the Summer 2021 Husky Campus Schedule.
- The City Commuter Shuttle, accessible to students, faculty, staff and guests. Click here to see the 2020/2021 schedule.
All shuttles are equipped with GPS units to provide the current location of each shuttle along its route. View mtu.edu/bus-routes for the current locations of all shuttles. View the Shuttle Services page on the MTU Transportation Services website for the most up-to-date information, rules and guidelines applying to shuttle services.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic situation, please follow these guidelines when you use the shuttle services:
- Maintain social distancing (at least 6 feet) while waiting, boarding, and alighting the bus,
- Remember that each shuttle has a current capacity of no more than 24 people (for the campus shuttle) and 15 people (for the city shuttle)
- Wear appropriate face covering while in the shuttle and in Walmart.
A few Lyft drivers are also active in the Houghton and Hancock area–check out Lyft.com to find a ride.
For more information about the Houghton Public Transit schedule, pricing, and routes, check out the transit information page on the City of Houghton website.
Note: Hancock has a Public Transit bus system too! On demand service only, Monday through Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm. Check out the City of Hancock Public Transit page for further information.