The GSG has put together a handy guide to emergency/health resources that you can view here. You can find further information on local resources, facilities and services provided in the area below.
Local Resources: Healthcare Facilities and Healthcare Providers in the Area
Students have immediate access to health care services at Upper Great Lakes Houghton Family Health Center located in the UP Health System—Portage University Center. The Health Center is attached to the Student Development Complex on campus and can be reached by calling 906-483-1860
- The health center has Michigan Tech student walk-in hours every weekday (Monday-Friday) from 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Appointments can be made every weekday (Monday-Friday) from 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Sport Injury Walk-in Hours are every Monday from 4 p.m.–5:30 p.m.
- An on-site health care team consisting of a family medicine provider, a health coach, nursing and care management staff collaborate to provide integrated medical and behavioral health services. Lab and x-ray services are available on-site as well.
- Dental services are available via internal referrals to Upper Great Lakes Calumet Family Health Center.
- Online Scheduling is available for established patients.
- A sliding fee scale (discounted rate) is available for qualified individuals who are uninsured or under-insured.
- For after hours services please call 906-483-1000 (non-emergency).
- New Patient Paperwork
- For more information, please visit: www.uglhealth.org
Express Care is an option for immediate care for many common ailments.
- Open 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. Sunday through Saturday
- Open Holidays 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day)
- Located on Sharon Avenue directly across from Burger King
- For $55, many common ailments can be treated
- Call 906-483-1777 for more information
- UP Health System-Portage Hospital (Hancock)
UP Health System – Portage has been a Level III ACS (American College of Surgeons)-verified trauma center and emergency department serving the area for over 100 years.
- Open 24 hours, 365 days per year
- Services include: urology, orthopedics, internal medicine, cancer care, heart and vascular, nutritional counseling, diabetes education, cardiopulmonary, arthroscopy surgery, sleep medicine, dialysis center, geriatrics, rheumatology, wound care, general surgery, emergency medicine
- Comprehensive pharmacy services located on campus at the SDC. Free home delivery of medications is available to students who live off campus. Most prescriptions can be transferred from out-of-town pharmacies for the convenience of the student.
- Labs, x-ray, 3D mammography, ultrasound, CAT scan
- The areas only open bore MRI
- UP Health System – Portage is part of the UP Health System with locations and services throughout the Upper Peninsula
- Release of Information (ROI) forms can be completed by students 18 years and older if they wish ti have their medical information released to parents, guardians, etc. The ROI expires one year after the patients signs it.
- Release of Information Form
- Completed ROI forms can be:
- Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailed to Medical Records, 500 Campus Drive, Hancock, MI 49930
- Or dropped off at Medical Records at UP Health System-Portage in Hancock
- An online directory of all providers able to help in our area can be found at UP Health System – Portage’s website.
Students have convenient access to Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy services at the UP Health System-Portage Rehab and Sports Medicine clinic located in the UP Health System—Portage University Center. The rehab center is attached to the Student Development Complex on campus and can be reached by calling 906-483-1888.
- The clinic is open to students and the public every weekday (Monday-Friday) from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The clinic is staffed with therapists with multiple certifications and specialties
- UP Health System is the official provider of Sports Medicine for Michigan Technological University Athletics
The Aspirus Houghton Clinic is located at 1000 Cedar St. (behind Wal-Mart) and can be reached by calling 906-487-1710
- Open 7 a.m.–7 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 7 a.m.–5 p.m. Friday, and 9 a.m.–1 p.m. Saturday.
- Full-service clinic offering Family Medicine, Orthopedics, Women’s Health, Midwifery, OB, Pediatrics, Pediatric Telepsychiatry, Ophthalmology, Urology, General Surgery, Heart Care, Acupuncture, and Headache Therapy.
- Onsite therapy services including Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy.
- Lab, x-ray, ultrasound, and mammography onsite.
- Full-service pharmacy onsite. Prescription deliveries available to your home, office, or residence hall room.
- Appointments (recommended) are always available, same-day or next-day. Walk-in visits welcome.
- A sliding fee scale (discounted rate) is available for qualified individuals who are uninsured or underinsured.
- Aspirus is a Patient-Centered Medical Home and a Patient-Centered Medical Home-Neighbor.
- An online directory of physicians and hospitals/clinics may be found on the Aspirus Keweenaw website.
- RX Transfer Form
- Authorization for disclosure of protected health information
TRANSPORTATION: Michigan Tech students can take the City of Houghton Downtowner Shuttle to the clinic. Visit the Michigan Tech Transportation Services page for shuttle schedules and information.
Aspirus Keweenaw offers full range emergency care 24/7 at the Level III Trauma Center at Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital. The hospital is located at 205 Osceola St in Laurium. The Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital can be reached by calling 906-337-6500. No appointments are needed for emergency services.
Treatments and Services
- Emergency Services
- Onsite Ultrasound, X-ray, CT, MRI
- 3D Mammography
- Onsite Pharmacy
- Stroke Care
- Joint Replacement
- Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehab
- Laboratory Services
- Home Health and Hospice
- Inpatient Therapies
An online directory of physicians and hospitals/clinics may be found on the Aspirus Keweenaw website.
The Westerns Upper Peninsula Health Department in Hancock has a variety of offerings and services. More information can be found by visiting their website (Western Upper Peninsula Health Department), or by calling the Hancock office at 906-482-7382.
- Environmental Health
- Reproductive Health
- Disease Prevention
- Pregnant Women and Children
- Community Health and Wellness
Mental Health and Wellness Services and Resources
Counseling Services at Michigan Tech is here to help you gain perspective and be successful both personally and academically. Professional staff at Counseling Services is composed of licensed therapists who possess both academic and personal counseling training and skills. Services are free and confidential and are provided by licensed professional staff. The staff can assist students with personal issues that may interfere with school and life in general. Counselors can provide guidance with tough decisions, help manage stress, assist to improve communication skills, and foster self-awareness. Any concerns, including depression, pregnancy, anxiety, loneliness, substance abuse, or problems with a relationship, can be discussed with a counselor in a confidential setting.
For information or an appointment, call 906-487-2538 or email email@example.com. Twenty-four-hour emergency services are available—call Public Safety and Police Services at 906-487-2216 and ask for the counselor on call.
For further information about Michigan Tech Counseling Services, visit the Counseling Services page on the MTU website.
Wellness is devoted to improving the overall student wellness at Michigan Tech during their years of study and after graduation.
Workshops and presentations can be provided on the areas of:
Alcohol and Other Drugs
To ask a question or request a workshop or presentation from Student Health and wellness, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Michigan Tech Disability Services
Students with disabilities who are interested in using accommodations such as extended time for exams, select adaptive technology, priority scheduling, special housing and parking arrangements should contact Michigan Tech Disability Services. For disability and accommodation concerns, please email Christy Oslund (email@example.com), call 906-487-1494, or visit the Student Disability Services page.
MTU Student Health Insurance
As graduate students, you are required to have and maintain comprehensive health insurance coverage during your stay at Michigan Tech. Consult the Student Health Insurance page on the MTU website for further information on health insurance.
The content of this page was adapted from the Student Health Services page on the MTU website.